Thursday, September 11, 2003

Especially for Shimmer
My husband's parents always give me money for my birthday and I always buy music with it. For my last birthday, I bought Faire is the Heaven: Music of the English Church, by the Cambridge Singers. This beautiful music is sung a cappella by a boys choir (with a few men for the tenor and bass parts) in the Lady Chapel of Ely Cathedral which was built from 1321 to about 1350. It sounds wonderful! The only other thing I have that comes close to that sound is Bach's St. Matthew Passion, and the version I have uses women's voices for the soprano solos.

There's a good variety of music on this CD. The songs are arranged in chronological order from the 14th century to the 20th. They are mostly Psalms and prayers, and there is one Dutch Easter carol!

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!