Monday, May 31, 2004

Aromatherapy
or, Smells that make me happy, some of which only exist in my memory (in no particular order)

- the English roses sitting in a cup on the kitchen counter
- my husband when he hugs me
- freshly brewed coffee
- rain on the hot dry grass
- my hands after pruning my sage bushes
- my five year old daughter's hair
- freshly cut grass
- the laundry when I'm taking it off the clothesline
- the back yard when Mike's coooking on the grill
- a newborn baby
- summer nights in Georgia (honeysuckle and red Georgia clay)
- the salt air in St. Augustine
- breakfast at Mike's grandmother's house (bacon, eggs, and coffee!)
- any meal that someone else cooks
- the way sheets smell when they're first taken out of the linen closet
- Red Deliciious apples
- new books
- old books
- any book!
- my facial cleanser
- Mike's uniforms when I iron them
- the home improvement store
- compost when it's done
- Aunt Nelda's pasture (cows, grass, and the faint smell of the catfish pond)
- "new car" smell
- the pine needle sachets my daughters made me
- the lavender in my garden
- brand new school supplies (paper and pencils and crayons...)
- dry leaves in the fall
- popcorn at the movie theater
- my Daddy's leather vest
- our house when I've been gone all day
- the boathouse at Lake Nasworthy
- my granddaddy's garage
- Hershey's kisses with almonds
- commuion wine
- the used book store downtown
- Coty Airspun Face Powder (it's the kind my grandmother used, my mother uses, and that's why I use it, too)
- Bath and Body Works "Juniper Breeze"
- olive and feta cheese pizza
- homemade bread
- the cream soups that my eldest makes
- the cedar boards Mike is using to build a fence around our back yard
- Uncle Lefty, who passed away decades ago (Old Spice, cigars, butterscotch candies, and axle grease)
- the woods behind the house where I grew up
- my grandmother's plum jam
- Paper White narcissus
- freshly painted walls
- Pond's Cold Cream
- chocolate chip cookies!

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!