Saturday, May 8, 2004

What funny things you learn when gardening in the dark!
Tonight after supper, Mike and I were walking around the front yard looking at the work we did today, noticing how the little plants we put in had perked back up and were looking nice... Little things like that.

Well, there's this forsythia I planted last year that died. I hadn't dug it up yet, because I kept hoping it wasn't really dead, but tonight we decided to go ahead and dig it up before anyone gets hurt by running into it, so I went and got the shovel. I stuck it into the dirt, then levered the handle down. Mike grabbed the top of the plant and pulled it up, and as the poor dead thing came out of the ground, a half a dozen little lights in the dirt glowed brightly for an instant and then began to fade.

"What is that?" I said.

Mike promptly scooped one little light up in hand. Brave man! I wouldn't have picked it up on the shovel for fear it might jump at me!

He carried it to the front door and looked it in the light.

It was an earthworm! A normal, regular little earthworm! I never knew they did that, but then, I don't think I've ever seen an earthworm after dark.

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!