Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Odds and ends

~*~ ~*~ ~*~


American civilization has reverted to the hunter-gatherer stage. The other day, Mike told me of a conversation he'd had with a guy up at work who's going to be moving away soon.

"You haven't even been here four months," said Mike.

"It's okay," said the Modern American Nomad. "You go where the food is."

Yeah, we know all about that first-hand. That's why we're here in Virginia instead of Alabama where we wanted to be.

I guess I need some of the same preaching I just gave to my sister. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28)."   "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content (I Timothy 6:6-8)."

~*~ ~*~ ~*~


Today is Columbus Day, my hubby's favorite - probably because it's so unPC. We're doing American history this year for the first time in ages, and as part of our curriculum, we're using Steve Wilkins's tape series, "America: The First 350 Years." In the section on Columbus, Wilkins includes several quotes from books written by Columbus. Here's a gem from the Book of Prophecies:
I am a most unworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvelous presence. No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Savior, if it is just and if the intention is purely for His holy service. The working out of all things has been assigned to each person by our Lord, but it all happens according to His sovereign will, even though He gives advice. He lacks nothing that it is in th e power of men to give Him. O what a gracious Lord, who desires that people should perform for Him those things for which He holds Himself responsible! Day and night, moment by moment, everyone should express to Him their most devoted gratitude."


~*~ ~*~ ~*~


We almost had a baby born on Columbus Day. 13 years ago, I went into labor with our third child on a Friday afternoon. The pains only lasted a few hours, but they had started up again on Saturday morning and were proceeding apace - the contractions were only about five minutes apart and felt quite strong, although they were relatively painless, so we went in to the hospital only to be sent home again with a "Well, maybe this weekend, but definitely not today."

By late Sunday afternoon, they started up again and I tried various things to see if it was the real thing or not. I walked - they got stronger. I laid down - they got stronger. Along about 7:30 I was feeling so very comfortable on my waterbed that I thought, I could just have the baby here, and then we could call the hospital and let them send an ambulance to pick us up. I know it's Not The Thing among Prairie Muffins and PM Wannabes, but I really enjoy the hospital stay. I like having the baby all to myself, and I like having meals brought to me regularly without having to tell anyone how to make them.

Well, I mentioned this to Mike and he thought I should go to the hospital, so after getting up again and making sure that walking around wouldn't scare the contractions away again, we tootled along to the base hospital, arriving around 8:30pm. They put me in the observation room and spent about an hour deciding that they really should admit me, then sent me over to the LDR. Around 10pm I began feeling the urge to push. Now this was interesting because the whole time I'd really never been in much pain, unlike the two previous babies. Discomfort, of course, but not really intense pain like before. The nurses told me DO NOT PUSH while they ran out to get the doctor, but I'd learned this the first time around - working really really hard at not-pushing is the worst part of the whole thing, so instead of trying not to push, I just stayed relaxed and let my body push at will.

About this time, my dear, devoted husband said, "Don't you want to wait a couple of hours? Then the baby can be born on Columbus Day."

Sorry honey. Much as I'd like to oblige you, I ain't waitin for nothin!

Our Mosey was born at 10:10 pm on October 11, thirteen years ago, and what a blessing she is.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!