Monday, June 9, 2003

Celebrating the Sabbath
This post at Matt's blog has me thinking about a few things, especially the questions raised by Kolbi: "WHY don't we, as Christians, celebrate the beginning of the Sabbath day in the form of a weekly meal ushering in God's day of rest, like the Jews do? WHY don't we use that meal to formally and verbally "bless" our children, like the Jews do? And when would we do it, anyway? Friday night? Saturday night?"

For about six or seven years now, our family has begun the Lord's Day with a special meal on Saturday night. The details have changed over the years, but nowadays we generally begin the meal with a loaf of sweet bread and cup of wine that Mike offers thanks to God for (Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth - or, ... who created the fruit of the vine), and then passes around to the family. As we are passing the food, we say "I love you" to each person we give it to.

I really like the idea that Kolbi raised, of using this time as an opportunity to "formally and verbally bless our children." I have a few vague ideas knocking around in my head, but in the meantime, I'm open to suggestions. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!