Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer blessings

Summer is not exactly my favorite season, but I do LOVE summer food -- all the raw milk I can drink, fresh home-grown tomatoes, watermelons...

I also love Mexicany food -- beans, salsa, avocadoes. Granted these foods are available year-round, but they just aren't the right things in the winter. In the winter you want your food to keep you warm, not cause you to break into a sweat or otherwise cool you down.

Another yummy summer food is smoothie made with yogurt, coconut milk, and frozen fruit -- my favorite combo is half strawberries and half peaches.

Then there's curried dishes. My current favorite curry is salmon cooked with coconut milk, red curry paste, and various chopped veggies, served over rice.

What's your favorite summer food?

8 comments :

  1. Ahh, here eggplant is the king of summer. Eggplant parmesan, and Caponata, which is fried eggplant cubes, onion, capers and celery in a goopy, tomato sauce flavored with basil, sugar and vinegar. It's so good with th right kind of bread!
    Then there's spaghetti with raw sauce, which is very ripe tomatoes mashed up with olive oil, cloves of garlic and basil, then left to amalgamate for the morning hours till lunch, then it's simply used to top the cooked spaghetti. Love it.

    Your smoothie sounds scrumptious - I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to sign my name! But you know who I am anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, Italian food -- must be Gilda!
    :-)

    I love eggplant parmasan. We never plant it because I'm the only one who likes it, so I buy it once or twice in the year and make eggplant parmesan or moussaka or eggplant kiku, which kind of a quiche flavored with saffron. I'll have to post the recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of our favorites is "Summertime Chicken Salad."

    http://community.livejournal.com/thehungrycook/98251.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even tho' I'm linking to last year's post, BLTs are still my favorite summer food.

    http://hiddenart.blogspot.com/search/label/Recipes-Sandwiches

    However, I have already made a large batch of Gazpacho which was a hit at last week's family reunion.

    Picture and recipe to follow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes.

    Corn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turkey bacon club from Arby's. And cheerios. But that's not exactly 'cause it's summer... ;)

    Alexander is (fortunately) not convinced that baby needs doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I'm still "Miss Puritan Chickie"! Evidently it's been a while since I used or edited my blogger account!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!