Sunday, April 4, 2010

in Just--

E.E. Cummings * (1894 - 1962)

in Just-
spring                 when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles         far         and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far         and         wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and
        the

                goat-footed

balloonMan         whistles
far
and
wee

2 comments :

  1. Neat!

    The hardest part for me when posting Cummings is the spacing.

    It must involve some HTML which I really dont *know*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does -- it's tedious, but not hard.

    It's:

    & n b s p ;

    only without all the spaces. That makes a half-space, so what I do is type that, then hit the spacebar, which together make one space. Then I'll copy the code and paste it in as many times as needed to get the spacing I want.

    In this case, I wanted increments of four spaces, so I copied a string of four commands and spaces, and then only had to paste it once or twice to get the spacing I wanted.

    I hope that's clear!

    If you want to see the code, you can click View (in your browser's toolbar) and select Source. The code for "in Just--" begins at line 478.

    My way makes really ugly code and there's probably a more elegant way of doing it, but if so I don't know it, and I've been doing it this way so long I might not be able to learn anything else!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!