Friday, April 2, 2010

Redemption

George Herbert (1593 - 1633)

Having been tenant long to a rich Lord,
            Not thriving, I resolved to be bold,
            And make a suit unto him, to afford
A new small-rented lease, and cancel th’ old.
In heaven at his manor I him sought:
            They told me there, that he was lately gone
            About some land, which he had dearly bought
Long since on earth, to take possession.
I straight return’d, and knowing his great birth,
            Sought him accordingly in great resorts;
            In cities, theatres, gardens, parks, and courts:
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth
            Of thieves and murderers: there I him espied,
            Who straight, Your suit is granted, said, and died.

2 comments :

  1. Here's a link to one of my favorite Geo Herbert poems

    http://hiddenart.xanga.com/534095647/the-windows-a-poem-about-preachers/

    Blessings on this celebratory weekend. Dana

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!