Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Day

~Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894)

Words cannot utter
    Christ His returning:
Mankind, keep jubilee,
    Strip off your mourning,
Crown you with garlands,
    Set your lamps burning.

Speech is left speechless;
    Set you to singing,
Fling your hearts open wide,
    Set your bells ringing:
Christ the Chief Reaper
    Comes, His sheaf bringing.

Earth wakes her song-birds,
    Puts on her flowers,
Leads out her lambkins,
    Builds up her bowers:
This is man’s spousal day,
    Christ’s day and ours.

2 comments :

  1. Christ is risen!

    I've been browsing through the poems you post, and it makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is risen indeed!

    Thanks for commenting, Gretchen. I post a lot of poems during April and off and on the rest of the year as something strikes my fancy -- Dana is my role model in this. I didn't know I LOVED poetry until I strarted reading it aloud with my kids every day a few years ago. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!