Friday, October 3, 2003

Evolution Development of a poem
Theognome said that my haiku below was "not bad." Just so you all would know how not bad it is, I thought I post the previous four versions of it.

The first version:
Lone watermelon
so sweet, cool, and delicious -
last taste of summer


After I wrote it I decided to check out my handy-dandy college literature book and see if it said anything about how to write haiku. It said things about restricting adjectives, and being evocative rather than descriptive. That produced versions 2 - 5:
My children ate the
watermelon today and
savored every bite.

My children eating
volunteer watermelon
savor every bite.

My children eating
volunteer watermelon
savor every drop.

My children eating
the only watermelon
savor every drop.


After further consideration, I've come up with another version:
Summer's End

Six children sharing
the garden's only melon
savor every drop


Bloggers are rumoured to be weirdo exhibitionists anyway, so I suppose no one will be surprised if I bare my less than poetic soul in this exercise. I read once that one way to understand poetry is to write it yourself, so I try my hand every once in a while.

Now honestly. If this is really only "not bad" and there is no potential whatsoever for me ever to become "pretty good," somebody please let me know and I won't inflict this junk on the public. But if there is potential, I welcome instruction! :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!