Thursday, October 23, 2003

Title goes here
Every time this week that I've thought of something I wanted to blog about, either I haven't had time to do it, or I haven't been able to get my thoughts organized enough to write anything worth the time it would take to read it. Tonight I have several random observations. That way I don't have to blog about not blogging anything at all, the way Theognome did once. :-D

I subscribe to two magazines: Credenda/Agenda and Organic Gardening.

My 11-year-old found Lingua Latina to be too challenging, so this week we started Minimus Latin. The stories in the book are based on a real family, a Roman prefect and his wife and three children, who lived in the north of England from AD 97-102. After two days I can say with complete confidence: "So far, so good." ;-p

Several of my kids have croup this week. We seem to go through this two or three times during the fall and spring, when the weather is very cool at night and very warm in the day. I've learned that the best way to deal with croup is generous use of eucalyptus oil, both in a vaporizer and sprinkled on the child's pillow.

Today I read P.G. Wodehouse's Laughing Gas for the first time. It's probably not one of his better ones, but the plot took a very surprising twist along about chapter four, the story was entertaining, and it had a sweet ending. I would recommend it. (Has anyone ever not recommended a Wodehouse?)

My 14-year-old, who is taking an online history class through Studium Discere Tutorials, has been assigned an 8-10 page research paper on a topic of her choosing, related to the class, of course. She is considering comparing different creation accounts with the Biblical account. This is her first big paper, and I've never taught anyone how to do it before. Prayers and advice, as Valerie says, would not be underappreciated.

I enjoy reading the theological threads over at A Better Country but too often my sole contribution to any discussion is to ask people to explain their terms. I have learned more "-isms" since becoming Reformed than I ever knew existed. Recently, an innocent question sparked quite a discussion that included the term "amyraldianism." Rather than display my ignorance yet again, I did a web search and found this very helpful site - a Theological Terminology Dictionary.

Things I learned tonight by looking through my referrer logs
- There are people do web searches on getting a whipping
I wonder if they need one, or know someone who does?
- Somebody out there is in the market for a terror alert level necklace
Do you suppose they actually do any good?
- If you do a web search for the terms "lingua latina" "ran screaming" or "white linen and pipe-clay" I am the only hit you will get
Am I a niche blogger, or what!
- If you ask the question can you re pot broken aloe? or go looking for seamus haney, beowulf, study notes you will not find the answer online
But I thought the internet had all the answers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!