Thursday, May 10, 2018

Teaching manners to children, part 1


 A couple of weeks ago I was asked to blog a bit on teaching manners to children, specifically table manners. This is such a large topic that, well . . . . You see how long it has taken me to get my thoughts in presentable order. Actually, to keep from succumbing to the perfectionist demon, this is going to wind up being a series of sorts. I’ll add to it as I’m able to and as interest in this conversation warrants it.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

First, definitions!

When we’re talking about something like table manners for children, there are lots of terms we might use that are related but don’t mean exactly the same thing. Is etiquette the same thing as manners? Are manners and courtesy the same?

I’m going to begin with Courtesy, because I think it’s the larger idea. In this context, I’m going to use courtesy to include politeness, good manners, and respect, with the overall goal of treating one another the way we ought to treat fellow bearers of the image of God. Courtesy is a demeanor and an attitude as much as an action or set of actions. In this sense, courtesy is a virtue that people in all times and places must strive to embody.

Manners are the actions we take in relation to the people we’re with and circumstances we’re in. Good manners are things we do that display the virtue of courtesy—practical ways of treating other people with respect, humility, and good humor. It is important to remember that what is considered good manners varies from one culture and even one sub-culture to another.

Etiquette is a formal or customary code that describes correct behavior in various social and business settings, and is specific to those settings. What I mean is that proper etiquette at a wedding is not necessarily the same as proper etiquette at a beach party. Proper wording of a text message is not the same as proper wording of a business letter, and neither is the same as an email to a friend.

Another word you might see around is Protocol, which is a formal set of procedures. I don’t use it often, and might not use it at all in this series, because it mostly refers to diplomacy and treaties and matters of state. When I do use it at home, it’s in an almost medical or technological sense. I have protocols for handling raw meat and fresh produce. When we had dairy goats, I had strict protocols for handling the milk because we drank it raw and I wanted to be sure it was clean.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Now, something practical.

Because manners and etiquette are necessarily tied to culture, spend the next few days noticing what is considered good manners in your own community, including the families you and your spouse were raised in. 

There are two reasons for doing this. One is so that you can be sure that you and your kids aren’t accidentally coming off as rude when you’re at church or grandmother’s house. The other is so that you can identify differences between your community’s and your own expectations, and begin thinking about how to handle that.

Your turn!

What do you think of these definitions?

Would you alter or add to anything I’ve said here?

I haven’t even mentioned decorum, propriety, civility, and others that came to mind after I finished this. Should we talk about those ideas?

What questions do you have?

6 comments :

  1. So last night Aunt Jo complimented my table-setting - said it was "very pretty" and that I didn't "just slap it down". So of course I had to tell her that's all you, I'm more of a slapper and you're more of a user-of-proper-plates-and-putter-of-food-into-serving-dishes. What would table setting fall under - etiquette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm proud of you! <3

      And yes, table-setting is etiquette. My Emily Post has dozens of photographs and illustrations showing all the tableware and how to set the table for every possible occasion.

      Delete
  2. My questions arise from the perspective of teaching 5-year-olds and under sp that we can all enjoy the meal experience more. How much should I expect of them at this age? Should we make it a game or approach it differently? What do you do when they're not on board (throwing fits, etc.)? Curious what I'll learn on your series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for commenting. I'll definitely be addressing things like that in the series.

      Regarding throwing fits, I'd want to assess whether it was directly connected to mealtime issues, or was more general than that. My guiding principal was that I tried not to force issues regarding food. I figured that if they were hungry they'd eat what I had prepared, and if not, I wasn't going to make them eat (though there were times when I had to modify that briefly in order to encourage a picky eater to eat).

      I had one child with a real aversion to eggs and peanuts, which was probably related to her asthma. That's another thing you should be on the lookout for -- health problems that may be contributing to food-related trouble.

      Delete
  3. The first time I noticed the differences in expectations surrounding polite behavior was when I met my husband’s parents. I was raised in northern Missouri, in a family where you could respond to elders with a simple “Yes” or “No,” so long as your tone was respectful. In fact, I remember a short period when I was 12 or 13 and I started saying “Yes, sir/ma’am” and my extended family thought I was putting on airs. In addition, if someone asked you how you were doing, you could answer without asking how they felt in return without it seeming rude. My husband’s family was in the south; this wouldn’t do. Even though I was in my late 20’s, a response of “Yes, sir/ma’am” was expected. If someone asked how you were, it was rude to not ask how they were doing in return. Small things, true, but they were the difference between being considered polite or rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing what a difference it makes which part of the country you're from. "Small things, true, but they were the difference between being considered polite or rude."

      So very true!

      How did you handle raising your kids?

      Delete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!