Friday, June 1, 2018

Teaching manners to children, 4: Regarding “issues”

I’m sorry this post is late! Last week we flew to Memphis for Violin Daughter’s graduation from The Center for Western Studies’ gap year program, and then this week we drove home with her. I cannot recommend The Center highly enough. It’s a fantastic program and John and Day Hodges are fine people who truly love their students. If it’s at all possible for your child to spend a year at The Center, you should take advantage of it!


On to business! Last time I said, “at that stage the only rule I had was that I did NOT want there to be Issues surrounding mealtimes.” This time I want to expand on that.

Part 1: Definitions
Part 2: Basic principles
Part 3: Earliest stages

Part 4: Regarding “issues”

The nature of food and meals

Food and meals are meant for nourishment and comfort and fellowship. It is the parents’ duty to nourish their children, which is another way of saying that you owe it to these little people whom you have brought into the world to nurture and comfort and feed them.

I wanted our mealtimes to be peaceful and pleasant times, so that precluded having fights with the kids about what and how much they were eating (or not) and it also precluded using food for rewards and punishment.

But how do you do that? Here are a couple of principles to keep in mind:

Principle #1: Prevent issues from arising in the first place

Principle #2: If a child is hungry he will eat what is given him*

So, if I didn’t want to have to force-feed my child, thus creating an issue, I needed him to be hungry when he came to the table. In order for him to be hungry at mealtime, I had to limit snacks. At some point in my life as a mother, I got tired of my kids asking for snacks (because even though we are to imitate our heavenly Father, who delights when we come to him with all our needs, Mama is a finite being and only has limited amounts of time, energy, and attention, and not only does she need to recognize and accept that, but her children need to learn to respect it), so I put out a bowl of fresh fruit and told the kids they could eat whatever they wanted from it, whenever they wanted it, WITHOUT ASKING. Raw fruit never stopped my kids from being hungry at mealtime, but your kids might be different.

My responsibility then, was simply to keep the bowl of fruit filled, and to remind them not to ask me for snacks. This included not caving in when they wanted bread and butter or trail mix or whatever instead of the designated snack. If you are going to make a rule, you must stick by it. If you cave in on occasion, you are merely teaching your children that if they pester you enough they can get what they want. You must be, as Cindy Rollins would say, impervious to their pleas. They are not going to starve to death before supper, no matter what they say.*

Also, you must do all of this cheerfully and confidently. Remember, you don’t want negative emotions attached to food, and you certainly don’t want them feeling insecure in your decisions. You are the adult, and your confidence in your own decisions will help them have confidence in you.

So, one food rule we had was that one about snacks.

Another one was that they could have seconds of whatever they wanted, so long as they had eaten everything on their plates.

In order for this to work, I had to fill their plates myself so I could control portions. This meant that I had to know each child well enough to have a good idea of what a reasonable amount of food was. This also meant that on occasion they’d have a growth spurt and their appetite would get ahead of me. I’d notice that this had happened when a child would eat seconds and thirds and fourths of mashed potatoes. When this happened, I’d adjust the portions of meat and veggies at the next meal, so that there wasn’t ROOM in their tummies for four servings of mashed potatoes.

Notice what I would NOT do: I would not stop them after seconds of potatoes, and tell them that they had to have another serving of broccoli before they could have more potatoes. To do that would be to make potatoes the reward for eating broccoli, and like I said, I didn’t want that kind of thing to go on.

A third rule I had was that desserts were a separate course, and getting dessert was not contingent on anything other than it being time for dessert.

This was especially hard for Mike to handle because he grew up in a family where dessert was always a reward for having eaten everything on his plate.

I had no qualms about enforcing this for two reasons. One was that for the most part the kids weren’t leaving uneaten food on their plates. The other was that dessert was a rarity in our house. We have birthday cake several times a year, and I make pies for major holidays, but dessert is never a regularly expected course.

One bit of advice when making the dessert: Be sure that you make an amount that is sufficient for each person to have ONE reasonably sized serving, and no leftovers. This avoids the issue of people eating too much dessert, and it also avoids having them beg you for leftover dessert when they want a snack before bed, or the next day.

By this point, you might be concerned about wasting food. I really hate throwing out food too, so I had a couple of different ways of dealing with this. One was that if there was only a tiny bit of food left over, I’d just throw it out. I mean, I would NOT encourage them to eat “just this last bite” in order to keep from wasting it. To do this would be to train them to ignore their bodies’ signals that they’d had enough to eat, which is to say, doing that would train them to overeat.

If there was really a lot of food left, and they said they weren’t hungry, I’d tell them that I was going to put it in the fridge, and if they got hungry later, they should eat it, instead of fruit. This is my one kind-of-exception to the fruit-only snack rule. A few times, when I was a very young mother, I continued to bring this plate of leftovers out for meals until it was all eaten, but that was horrible. Finally I limited myself to bringing it out for the very next meal, but not more than that. If the child had eaten nothing during that time because that food was so distasteful to him, I figured maybe there was something going on that I didn’t understand, so I didn’t make an issue of it. At the following meal, we started fresh.

Another concern you might have is training a picky eater. I remember when #1 Son was just three and a half or four years old and on Sundays I always made a pot of 15-bean soup and started the bread machine before leaving for church, so lunch would be ready as soon as we got home. This son LOVED the fresh bread and HATED the soup. He would eat his entire slice of bread and then not eat any soup at all, so I had to figure something out. What I finally did was this: At the beginning of the meal, I would cut his piece of bread in half and set it on a small plate close to me and tell him that when he had eaten half of his soup, he could have one half of his bread. Then after he’d eaten the second half of soup he could have the rest of his bread. That worked well for him. He never learned to like 15-bean soup, and he’s still a picky eater, but he does know how to eat what’s placed before him without complaining.

This almost looks like using the bread as a reward for eating the soup, but I think that because of the overall environment around our meals, it didn’t feel like that to him, and it never was stressful. He never fussed over that rule—he just buckled down and ate the soup.

I want to reiterate how important it is to be consistent and firm and confident, while being open to adapting as difficult situations arise. I stress the firmness as foundational because I think that today the temptation for us parents is for flexibility and adaptability to be our modus operandi, and we only become firm when we’re really tired and stressed out. This is really hard on children. Children need to know what to expect in order to feel secure, and the key to that is parents who act with gentle consistency, loving firmness, and humble confidence. 

These principles were things that I had in mind from the time my first children were quite small, but much of the practical application developed after I had to start thinking hard about training in table manners. Next time I’ll tell you all what caused me to have to step up my game.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

* Barring medical issues, of course

8 comments :

  1. Kelly,

    I'm enjoying this series, and I wish more people who have thoughtfully worked through these sorts of issues would take the time to write out the details, mundane as they may feel to you as you list them. One of the few unalloyed benefits of the internet is that anyone looking for this sort of wisdom can now find it ... as long as the wise person took the time to write it down and then push the "Publish" button.

    You wrote "I want to reiterate how important it is to be consistent and firm and confident, while being open to adapting as difficult situations arise." My older kids have told me how frustrating it was at times that I would NEVER DISCUSS the reasons for telling them to do something, at least before they had done it, and even later only when they were truly puzzled. They had to do it because I told them to, not because it was reasonable--I had already decided that, and I wasn't going to argue about it.

    Of course, that put the responsibility on me to never ask them to do something unreasonable, a responsibility I was glad to shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when they were little if they asked, "Why?" I'd say, "Say, 'Yes, Ma'am,' and obey me first. If you still don't understand why, come back and ask me then, and we'll talk about it."

      That way if they were asking Why? just to stall, or hoping to talk me out of it, it simply didn't happen. But if they did come back later and ask me about it, I ALWAYS had a reason, and they came to trust that, which was really important as they got older and began asking "Why do we believe this?" and "Why does the Bible say that?"

      Their early training had taught them that I was thoughtful and sensible -- that is, trustworthy.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the mashed potato thing! That makes so much sense. It hadn't occurred to me that I should tweak serving sizes when they just want to fill up on those quick carbs. I'll try that and see if it helps.

    What did you do about candy? We've got a stash now, what with various holidays and presents from people who don't know any better (lol). They often ask me if they can have a piece after lunch and I have to decide on the spur of the moment. I hate that. But I haven't figured it out yet.

    At first, when you brought up leftovers, I thought you meant any leftovers- but you mean on an individual child's plate, right? I don't want to jinx it :P but we haven't had to deal with a child refusing to eat his dinner! I'm not sure how we escaped that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I just meant food left over on the plates. I love the rest of the leftovers -- makes future meals easier!

      Kids do need a higher proportion of carbs than adults do, so I don't mean to make it sound like I'm limiting their carbs. Just meant that if they have enough enough room for three extra servings of whatever their favorite food it, I probably need to be giving them larger portions of everything.

      Regarding candy, most of the year we only have it on Sunday, just as a treat, and preferably right after lunch so that it's not sugar on an empty stomach, and so it's not too close to bedtime. One thing I would suggest is that when you do have it, there should be enough of it available so that it's a reasonably satisfying treat. If you have too little at a time, it just makes you want more, know what I mean? Also, I think it's best to have it infrequently enough that it's not something they come to want every day. So I think it would be better to have 3-5 pieces once a week than to have one piece 3-5 times per week.

      Delete
    2. The nice thing about the Sunday treat is that it kind of removes uncertainty from the picture for the child (you know you are not getting candy on weekdays, and you ARE getting candy on Sundays, barring special events or accidents) and makes things less complicated for the adult (since then you don't have to evaluate each candy request from the ground up - you can just ask yourself if there's a good reason to make an exception to the rule).

      I think that having a rule or a routine makes things less stressful for everybody in that way. Growing up I never particularly thought about it. Then I was getting the girls I babysit ready for school one morning and they asked if they could have candy in their lunchboxes, and when I texted both parents (because I didn't know their policy on candy) one said "yes" and the other said "no". It was sort of shocking for me to find out that way that they didn't have an actual policy on candy - whether a child's request was fulfilled or denied was, well, not exactly random. And I don't want to say that it was dependent on their whims either. But it seems to me that not having a policy to reference leaves parents vulnerable to making bad decisions on the spur of the moment, or because of their mood, and so on. It seems very unstable.

      On that note, I think the biggest mistake I made as a babysitter was not coming up with policies and sticking to them. Even though I've been dealing with kids for my entire life, I made mistakes and did things that hurt the girls' feelings because I didn't have policies in place and instead relied on myself to remember all relevant information and evaluate it impartially and quickly and make a good decision every time something came up. And it turns out that's not easy and it created stress for me and the girls because I wasn't being consistent because I didn't have pre-established policies to reference.

      So anyway, after those experiences I had a lot of retroactive appreciation for the no-candy-on-Sundays rule (and other rules) because it probably contributed to me feeling safe at home. That might be a personality thing that doesn't apply to all children, but for me uncertainty = unsafety.

      Delete
    3. Elai, I think you meant "no-candy-EXCEPT-on-Sundays rule" in that last paragraph.

      :-D

      Delete
    4. Yep, that's exactly what I meant ... how come there's no edit button? D:

      Delete
    5. Mm, yes, very good input. Thanks! I've been feeling the stress of the off-the-cuff decisions myself, but didn't think that it might be difficult for the boys.

      I moderate my sugar intake much differently from Alexander, and so trying to figure out how to teach them moderation is tricky. I feel like we're still groping around in the dark on this one.

      I'll have to come back later to finish this thought, because it's past midnight and I'm too tired to think!

      Delete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!