Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Filling in blanks
The other day, Suzanne said that when they got their income tax forms back, the accountant had filled in Suzanne's occupation as "none." For those of you who don't know, Suzanne is a fellow bon-bon eater, that is, she homeschools her seven children. ;-)

As far as tax forms go, I agree with Suzanne that "none" is just fine. I'd really prefer not to have the government decide that I'm doing anything taxable here. But the topic got me to thinking again about just what I should put into the blank that says Occupation, when I'm filling out forms.

If a form asks for my employer I just put N/A, and if it asks for my job, I usually put Housewife, in defiance of the people who denigrate that role. In the past I used to put Homeschool Mom, until I realized that the feminists have decided that Homeschool Mom is a valid career path for women who are fulfilled by that activity, and the fact that the main thing it says about me is that I'm a mom, when in fact being a mother is secondary to my role as Wife.

I've considered putting Rocks the Cradle, as in "The hand that..." Heh, heh. That'll show them how important my job is! The only problem with this one is that I think it originated as a plea to wealthy British parents to be very conscientious in choosing a nanny. Not quite the image I want to convey.

So, I'm back to "Housewife," or "N/A." There's always "Wife and Mother." What do you SAHMs do?

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!