Thursday, August 15, 2019

Current reading and a plea for help



Active:

C.S. Lewis
Prince Caspian*
Preface to Paradise Lost
The Discarded Image
*

Plato, Republic

Ovid, Metamorphoses

Ramon Lull, Book of Knighthood and Chivalry

Eugene Vodolazkin, Laurus

Mary Jo Tate, Flourish



Sidelined (it’s been a few weeks, but they’re still sitting out):

Dorothy Sayers, all the Lord Peter novels and short stories in chronological order*

Ariosto, Orlando Furioso



Reference (cluttering up my desk area because I keep dipping into them):

Lewis, Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature

Northrup Frye, The Secular Scripture

E.M.W. Tillyard, The Elizabethan World Picture

Stratford Caldecott, Beauty for Truth’s Sake


To Be Read (too numerous to list)

[*denotes re-read]

Clearly I need to come up with some sort of a reading plan. I have a loose plan, in that I do my Bible reading when I first wake up, and read Ovid during breakfast. After that though, it’s as my whimsey takes me.

Also I need a decent system for keeping track of teaching/writing notes and ideas. Normally, everything is just in my head, or I’ll write down sketchy ideas on random pieces of paper, but then I don’t have a system and things get lost. If you have any advice, please share!

2 comments :

  1. Kelly, I know people have different opinions of Goodreads, but here is something I like about it. When there's a book I want to read (but am reluctant) I will list it as "currently reading" and it stays there until I've finished (or started and finished) it.

    The thing (glorious and difficult, simultaneously) about reading is that one book leads to another. Does the newly discovered (or more likely newly reminded) get to "cut in line" and go to the top of the pile? I don't have an answer.

    I love people and all, but I imagine being snowed in for three months with working plumbing, enough firewood, a copious supply of Trader Joe's Chai tea and cream, and my library of books. Wouldn't that be GLORIOUS?!!
    Carol in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be glorious!

      I have trouble with Goodreads and I think it's simply because I keep forgetting it exists. I'm on Facebook, I have one discussion forum I belong to, and I have Feedly for the blogs I follow. I've never managed to develop a habit of using Goodreads.

      I'm reading Laurus before bed at night, so probably what will happen is I'll pick Lord Peter back up to fill that slot when I finish Laurus. I think I need to get myself a new crochet project and plan on two or three afternoons a week of listening to Orlando Furioso (it's on librivox and I have to have something rather mindless to do with my hands when I'm listening -- it helps me concentrate). Then I just have to make a slot for the more academic stuff to fit into. :-p

      Delete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!