Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Poetry for Coronatide


“O sweeter than the marriage-feast,
’Tis sweeter far to me,
To walk together to the kirk
With a goodly company!”

The two youngest and I have been reading Coleridge’s “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” aloud together since last week, one section per day. We read the final section this morning, where the passage quoted occurs. How appropriate, and how fitting, even though I had only vague memories of the poem when we decided to read it after finishing Spenser’s Shepherd’s Calendar.

When I asked my kids what they wanted to read next, my 17-year-old said, with a knowing smile, “The Wasteland.” Her older brother was looking through his poetry book to see if it was in there so he could go ahead an mark the place for tomorrow.

“What’s the first line of that?” he said.

“‘April is the cruelest month,’” she said, and we all laughed.

3 comments :

  1. I love both of your literary gleanings that are so fitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been amazed at how timely so much of what we've been reading is -- I mean, stuff that was chosen months (or even centuries) ago. I'm leading a group study on Shakespeare's As You Like It, and the week we all went into self-isolation/social distancing was the week we read the exiled Duke Senior saying:

      "Sweet are the uses of adversity . . .
      And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
      Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
      Sermons in stones, and good in everything."

      And this was the collect for the Sunday the day before we had that meeting:

      Third Sunday in Lent

      Almighty God, who seest that we have no power of ourselves
      to help ourselves: Keep us both outwardly in our bodies and
      inwardly in our souls, that we may be defended from all
      adversities which may happen to the body, and from all evil
      thoughts which may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus
      Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the
      Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! I so appreciate your sharing both of those. I feel the same way about all of my recent reading and that of my book club -- except maybe Camus's The Plague -- haha! -- but that wasn't my idea, and I didn't finish it. It's made me realize how good and true literature is that because it carries stories and themes that speak to our human nature and experience that is fundamentally unchanging.

    One use of this adversity might be the connecting us with more people through our having more time for reading and vicarious experience. Thank you, again!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!