Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Trying to give my children something to imitate . . .



Inspired by Silvia's latest post on nature journaling, when I took my walk this afternoon, I took lots of pictures of the Jerusalem artichokes, which are in their glory now and brought in one flower, so I could sketch it.






I stared at this flower for several minutes trying to figure out where to begin.  It's a LOT more complicated than I'd realized, and I'm not at all good at drawing what I see.  Finally I decided to draw just one petal . . .





. . . and while I was staring at the flower I noticed that all that complicated stuff in the center was made up of curlicues like this:




Then I noticed that each curlicue was growing out of a tiny flower like this:






Ah!  Now I remember -- Jerusalem Artichoke is a relative of the sunflower, so this is a compound flower.

The bees love it


[And by "something to imitate" I mean the habit of paying close attention and keeping a nature journal.  They can all draw a whole lot better than I can!]


No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!