Wednesday, January 14, 2004

A Titus 2 Woman
Last fall at our after-worship lunch, I noticed Miss Emma, an older lady in our congregation, wearing a striking skirt and blouse set. It was beautifully made with buttons covered in coordinating cloth and stitching details that you don't ever see in off-the-rack clothes. I complimented her outfit and asked if she had made it. She said that she had, adding that she loves to sew and finds that it is a great creative outlet for her.

Do you ever have the experience of waking up in the middle of the night with a seemingly inspired thought? Well that happened to me that night – at about 2 o'clock in the morning, I found myself sitting bolt upright in my bed thinking, "Miss Emma can teach my girls to sew!"

My daughters have been wanting me to teach them to sew for ages, and I just have not had the time to do it. I mean, I barely have time to sew myself, let alone to teach them. So the next Sunday, I asked Miss Emma if she'd be willing to teach my 14- and 11-year-old daughters to sew. She was pleased with my request, so I asked her how much she would charge for weekly lessons.

At that, she grabbed my arm and said, "Oh, no! I wouldn't charge you anything! I love teaching girls to sew! I think it's so important for them to know how."

So for the last few months my girls have been going to Miss Emma's house one afternoon a week and spending two or three hours with her. Elaienar has made herself a warm cloak and a skirt, and Mosey has made dozens of napkins and is now working on a skirt for herself.

The skills they are learning are valuable indeed, but there are more lessons than just sewing going on. Miss Emma belongs to an older generation (her husband is a Korean War vet) and she is the kind of gracious, gentle lady I would like to be. I am glad my daughters are spending so much time with her.

In addition to learning from her sweet nature, they are learning the value of an older woman who is not tied down by being employed. Not only is Miss Emma free to teach girls some necessary skills, but she is free to help her own family when needed. Last fall when her granddaughter was sick with the flu and had to be hospitalized, Miss Emma was able to go stay with her daughter and help out during that difficult time.

I hope Miss Emma's daughter appreciates what a rare blessing her mother is.

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!