Friday, January 30, 2004

Work I Love
Just so y'all don't think I'm a lazy-bones, I thought I'd list a bit of work that I actually enjoy doing. So here it is, in no particular order:

-gardening - planning, building and putting in beds, digging, moving dirt, setting out plants...
-painting and wallpapering
-refinishing furniture
-hanging laundry on the clothesline, and taking it down and folding it when it's warm and crisp and smells sweet
-studying health and nutrition
-doctoring my family
-cutting hair
-fixing little girls' hair
-dusting and arranging my bookcases
-making my bed
-keeping my dresser pretty
-throwing parties - dinner, tea, birthday, or holiday
-reading to my children (can I count that as work?)
-rubbing Old English furniture oil into my piano
-planning just about anything
-drawing floor plans (I lost it during our second to last move, but I had a notebook full of various houseplans I'd drawn over the years ranging from tiny apartments to very large houses - anyway, I don't know if this counts as work, since drawing out floor plans is more like sketching or doodling than actually doing any work!)
-crochet (that counts as work if I'm making a baby afghan, right?)
-arranging flowers
-repotting houseplants
-studying history
-dressing and tickling the baby
-editing dh's and dd's stories

Some of those things don't seem fair to list as work, since they are just so much fun.

I'm thinking more about what Toni said, especially the part about monotony, and I've been letting the monotonous parts of being a housewife get me down so much that I had forgotten that there are things I enjoy doing that are important, too. I don't know why I always think that if I'm enjoying something then I must be goofing off - after all, work is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, right? ;-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I love to hear from you!